Thursday, October 7, 2010

Commencement Part One


So I randomly came across a bookclub on a blog! Brilliant, so because I have so much free time I joined. I have always wanted to part of a book club or start one, but to no avail. Anyway, I am excited and the book they are reading is Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan. I even went to the library and checked it out; how frugal of me...
Here are my responses to the first round of questions.

1. Which girl do you identify the most with?

I feel like I can identify with a small part of each of them. April with her extreme thoughts and crazy efforts to make a difference. Celia, because I too was very homesick in college; also very lucky that my parents were still married. Maybe not so much like Sally, but I can identify some of my best friends to be like her. I think mostly Bree is who I can identify with. She came in with a plan, so set with a future based on morals and family values--then BAM she became different than expected. SO different that it may have alienated some people in her life.

2. If you're a college student or graduate, what similarities or differences do you see between this story to your own college experience?
This story is not too far from my own college experience. Although I went to co-ed school, it was small, private, and surrounded by nothing. My best friends, the four of us are still very close....despite our differences. I am reading this feeling nostalgic and missing those days. For every college memory the characters share I am reminded of so many of my own.


3. Which girl do you think has changed the most since her time in college? In what ways has she changed?
I am inclined to answer Bree, there is a lot of change that has happened. Still more to come (I cannot wait for part 2). I also think Sally has come a long way. The death of her mother is still lingering, dealing with that grief in different stages can be associated with how she demonstrates change in her life.

This book has been such an easy read...on the surface like so many plots but with some reflection there is so much more to the characters. The girls are easy to identify and bring up friendships of your own. I can't wait to see what will come of the girls in part 2.
I wonder if anyone else reading can identify so easy? I hypothesize my connection to being the age which the characters are in part one; 4 years post undergrad.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same homesick feeling as Celia too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, the way you describe Bree makes me realize that I relate to her a little better than I realized. When I went to college, I was still very innocent, very involved in church and extremely religious. Somewhere along the line, I left the church and forged a different path. I definitely alienated a lot of my old friends when I did that - they didn't understand my change of heart.

    ReplyDelete